Best Mobile Apps To Use In South Korea While Traveling

Whether you are a temporary visitor, traveler, or resident, these apps can be very useful while traveling and staying in South Korea. 

1. Naver Map

NAVER is a Korean search engine (naver.com) like Google to use email, shopping, online reservation, webtoon, and so forth.

For traveling in South Korea, Naver Map works better than Google Maps. Reviews and ratings are mostly reliable (Reviews and business information are only available in Korean, though). 

As a local, I use it to find or make a reservation for the following:  

  • Restaurant 
  • Hair salon 
  • Clinic or hospital (gynecologist, orthopedics, dentist...) 
Also, it works the best when I look for the best route from my current location to the desired place. It gives several options with the public transportation in real time and estimated arrival time. 

2. KakaoTalk & Kakao T


KakaoTalk is a messenger app like Whatsapp used more frequently than text messages. 
Once verified with a phone number (it does not have to be a Korean number), anyone can create an account to communicate with Kakao users.

This is the main communication method that I use with my family both in Korea and other countries. We tried Whatsapp when I was in Colombia, but my parents felt more comfortable using KakaoTalk.

Main functions: 
  • Messages with a number of cute emojis 
  • Voice and face talk available 
  • Kakao Bank 
  • Gift shop 
  • Online store 
Among others, Kakao T can be used for reserving a cab, which is more widely used than Uber. I found out that my Uber app has automatically changed to UT once I put a Korean sim card in my phone, this is because Korean cab drivers refused Uber to have business in Korea for years and years. 

Anyways, I use Kakao T to find a cab around anywhere in South Korea. 

Comments