University of North Texas Master's in International Sustainable Tourism

 Master's in International Sustainable Tourism (MIST) is a very special master's degree program which allows a student to spend the 1st year at the University of North Texas (UNT) in Denton, Texas and the 2nd year at the CATIE (Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza - The Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center) in Turrialba, Costa Rica. 

https://cmht.unt.edu/master-science-international-sustainable-tourism 

Currently in July 2023 as I finished the 1st year in the U.S., I came back to spend some time with my family in South Korea and got a temporary visa from Costa Rican embassy for me to be able to enter Costa Rica without any issues. CATIE can help with this entire visa process regardless of students' country of origin. So far, they have dealt with students from the U.S., China, South Korea, Nicaragua, and so on. 

I always wanted to study more in the U.S. after I finished a year of exchange program which was arranged by the Catholic University of Korea and Angelo State University in San Angelo, TX. It was 2012 Fall and 2013 Spring. My first time ever living outside of Korea became a complete turning point. I started seeing my passion for learning new languages and cultures through different experiences. 

We cannot assume what it's like unless we experience. Do everything you want to do, or you will regret and think you should have done it. 

UNT tries to be more diverse and College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism (CMHT) hosts different events with students and industry leaders. Although my major is tourism, working as a graduate student assistant, I got to participate in leadership symposium for the black history month, disney college luncheon with student leaders, amazing event held by event management students with musical performance, and so forth. 

Since I wanted to see how the program goes during the first semester, I did not do any work, but if you apply to be a student assistance in CMHT, you can get in-state tuition waiver as an international student who is supposed to pay out-of-state tuition (almost $3,000 difference!). Also, they pay you a half-monthly payment based on work hours. However, international students with F-1 visa can only work for 20 hours per week and 40 hours during vacations. 

I got a job at the vegan dining hall, Mean Greens Café in November, 2022 and worked for 3 months mainly in hydroponic freight farm, seeding, transplanting, and harvesting vegetables such as lettuce, kale, and basil used in the kitchen. See how it works! 

Comments